Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Eva Dress by Tessuti

Today I made the sleeveless version of the Eva Dress. I made it in size L (16 -18) which is a little roomy on me as I am a size 14-16  (heading more towards 16 after Christmas!!). The bodice is a stretch cotton and the skirt is linen.
I made a few adjustments to the pattern. I decided to make the dress shorter than the pattern as the actual length of the dress is much too long for my preferred dress length. I took 8 cm off the bottom panel which ended up making the bottom and top panels of the skirt the same length. I used purchased bias binding on the neck and armholes as I didn't have enough of the bodice fabric to make self fabric binding. I also didn't sew the pockets as this dress was a test run of the pattern.
I am happy with the dress and like the structural look of the skirt. I also like the bindings for the neck, armholes and skirt hem. When I next make an Eva, I will use a wider seam allowance so that is closer to a size 16 and will construct the dress by sewing all the front panels together and the back panels together first and join them in one long side seam so that it will be easier to make any fitting adjustments. The instructions in the pattern have you completing each front and back section of each layer first and then attaching them to the next layer in a complete round, if that makes sense.




Thank you very much for your comment.