Sunday, May 17, 2015

Fabric brooches

I have been playing around with fabric to make brooches with kits from KimoYES. In a previous blog here I showed some button brooches that were made from kimono silk. This time I used cotton. The two cat brooches are made from Japanese cotton and the heart fabric is a light cotton that I think I bought from Rathdowne Fabrics. I added iron-on interfacing to stop the silvery shine of the button shell showing through the fabric. It also had the added benefit of giving the fabric more body.
I have a cat-loving friend who will be receiving these as a birthday gift.
I also have had a go at making a fabric origami butterfly brooch. As with origami, folds need to be precise to get the best results. After making the butterfly using the fabric that came with the kit, two rectangular pieces of silk 7 inches by 5 inches, I thought I would try to make a smaller one but keeping the proportions of the rectangle the same, 7:5. This one is made from rectangles of kimono silk 10.5 cm ( 7 x 1.5 cm) by 7.5 cm (5 x 1.5 cm). It is by no means perfect but it does look like a butterfly. The kit suggests using firm fabrics or to interface softer fabrics. I interfaced this one but I think I should have used a stiffer interfacing to help make crisper folds. Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment.