Sunday, July 31, 2016

Japanese kimono silk drawstring bag

I used the KimoYES drawstring bag kit to make this lovely drawstring bag. The kit came with everything that's needed to make the bag. I have to admit I did struggle with working out how to put the pieces together but it did work out in the end.  It has five rectangles each topped with a triangle to make up a circular bag. The bag's finished size is 16 x 16 cms with a 42 cm circumference upper opening. My addition to the kit instructions was to make fabric covers to go over the cord knots. I found this technique in one of the first books I bought about Japanese textiles - Omiyage by Kumiko Sudo.  I think it finishes the bag off really well.
I filled the bag with small bottles of Japanese Cherry Blossom body lotion and shower gel and a bath sponge from the Body Shop as a gift for my mother's birthday.
Although I enjoyed the challenge of putting this bag together, I plan to do so some research into simplifying the shape and the number of pieces that make up the bag to make the construction process easier and faster.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment.