The pattern suggests that the cowl collar should be made from a lighter weight fabric for a better drape. Instead of doing that, I used the same fabric as the dress but cut the collar on the bias. I did this for the better draping quality of bias cut fabric and also because I was working with a plaid I didn't have to worry about matching stripes - killing two birds with one stone! The other change from the sewing instructions was with the centre front seam on the collar. I neatened the seam by folding under the seam allowance and stitching it down rather than neatening the edges and letting the seam allowance hang loose in the collar.
I really liked the instructions for the side pockets and will use this method for in-seam pockets in future garments. The fabric is a light weight suiting from Clear It in Fitzroy. I'm not sure of its composition but it is soft to the touch.